A List Of Interesting Essay Topics About Chinese Music
Music a large subject with so many niche areas that it’s almost impossible to run out of really interesting and unique topics to explore in an essay. Still, many students experience mental blocks when it comes to developing topics of their own, so we’ve put together this list of ideas for students to use directly or as inspiration towards:
- As one of the oldest countries in the world, China has had tremendous influence on both the Japanese and Korean cultures, as well as other countries in the area. How much has China’s music had an influence on these countries’ own music?
- Since the beginnings of the United States, many different people from all over the world have migrated to the U.S. in hopes of making better lives for themselves. In the case of Chinese immigrants, how have they been able to retain their musical roots in a foreign land?
- In the 1988 film, “Farewell My Concubine,” the western world was introduced to the long tradition of Chinese opera. Do you believe it has had a growing or lasting effect in influencing western music?
- What are some of the major themes discussed in the lyrics of popular and traditional Chinese music? How are these themes different or similar to other music from around the world?
- I important were the past Chinese dynasties important in preserving and promoting cultural elements like traditional Chinese music? What methods were used to make preservation possible?
- How have Chinese governmental censorship policies affected the kind of music that has been created since the mid-1950s? Do you think censorship policies are a type of human rights violation?
- Do you think that with greater exposure to music from around the globe, the western world would be more inclined to incorporate international elements (from China, for instance) in the creation of music?
8) What is the role of women in the preservation of traditional Chinese music? What are some of the unknown stories about women throughout the centuries that have had a direct effect the music of today?
- Do you think a greater exposure to Chinese celebrities, sports athletes, or major events will help the spread of Chinese music throughout the world? Consider the recent Beijing Olympics or recent performances in sporting events as examples.
- How would the use of traditional Chinese music in contemporary soundtracks help bring a greater awareness of its rich history to the global community?