15 Inspiring Essay Topics About Famous Musicians And Their Influence
The history of music is full of artists and creators who have changed the face of the art forever. One of the things that make their stories so interesting is learning about the various influences they had in their creative process. Here are 15 inspiring essay topics about famous musicians and their influence:
- Nirvana has long cited the Pixies, among several others, as one of its major musical influences leading up the writing of the band’s breakout album, “Nevermind”. What similarities in musical compositions do you notice in Nirvana’s writing to that of the Pixies?
- The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” along with the Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds” are similar in that they are among the first theme-albums. How did each influence the other?
- Discuss the influence Blues of the 1940s and 1950s had on the development of rock in the 1960s and 1970s. Use specific examples and evidence to support your argument.
- How influential has music from the rural south been on the music industry’s biggest acts as a whole? Do you think it helps direct the type of music that becomes popular?
- What role does the music industry play in influencing the different types of music that has the most success in reaching larger groups of people?
- What influence do artists have on the way people behave, including the way they speak or communicate and the way they dress or act around others?
- How is modern Hip Hop affected by the type of music that had success in the early 1980s? Is the genre considered reactive or influenced in any way?
- How have the Rolling Stones influenced Blues musicians since they first appeared in the 1960s? Use specific examples of artists to support your argument.
- What place does current Punk Music have in terms of the musicians that helped inspire a blending of rock and three chord blues music?
- How did the Beatles’ influences help shape the way they approached music writing that would eventually cross over into the American mainstream?
- Describe the influences you think most inspired the distinct and unique sounds of the Ramones. Support your ideas with specific examples.
- Which musicians do you think were most responsible for the creation of the pop sound that was so prevalent in the 1980s?
- Who inspired the jazz-funk sound that made James Brown so popular in the 1960s and 1970s? What can be said about how that unique sound changed over the following decades?
- What were the major influences that helped shape the unique sound of the Beastie Boys in the mid-1980s through the early 2000s?
- The Kinks have often been described as a derivative of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Do you think those two bands influence the Kinks’ sound?